• Norwood Forum

Emergency: Police & NHS

When, why and how to contact the Police and ambulance

In an emergency please telephone 999.
If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a text phone is available on 18000.

You should use these numbers if:

  • A crime is happening right now
  • Someone is in immediate danger, or there is a risk of serious damage to property
  • A suspect for a serious crime is nearby
  • There is a traffic collision involving injury or danger to other road users.
  • There is a health emergency

You can read all the details on this link, brief version below:

You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response. For example, if:

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood.

Or to:

  • Give the police information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry.

You should always call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

What about nuisance or environmental issues?
You should contact Lambeth Council about environmental issues such as dog fouling, flyposting and graffiti, abandoned vehilces, rubbish & recycling and anti-social behaviour. Go to our web page here for further info.

Here in Norwood we are policed by the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) under the Lambeth MPS, Central South Command. They have a Twitter account but do not report crime here: @LambethMPS

Our specific policing is carried out by Safer Neighbourhoods Teams (SNT) which now operate on a local ward basis (i.e. the ward boundaries introduced in 2022). Use this Contact your local policing team link to notify local concerns (referenced by the post code you enter) or contact a specific officer at your local Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT). 

Norwood Forum operates across West Norwood, Gipsy Hill and Tulse Hill. There are four wards that cover this area: Knight's Hill, Gipsy Hill, St. Martin's and West Dulwich. The webpage for each of the four Safer Neighbourhoods Teams (links below) has crime statistics, local activity, location of your nearest Police Station, who is on your Safer Neighbourhoods Team and ways to meet them such as their ‘Have a Say Day’ events).

Gipsy Hill

Knight's Hill

St. Martin's

West Dulwich

Don't know which Ward you live in? Check out the handy maps here on our website.

The Safer Neighbourhood Panel (SNP) meetings are however not listed on the Met Police pages. SNPs are in place in every London Borough, bringing police and communities together to decide local policing and crime priorities, solve problems collaboratively and make sure that the public are involved in a wide range of other community safety decisions. You can read more here on the Mayor of London website about the SNP priorities and core functions.


For all non-emergency but urgent health advice. See more here on the NHS website.