Update: 22.06.23: Lambeth Council answrs to FAQs - see below.
In order to encourage more recycling for a net zero future, Lambeth Council is proposing fortnightly non-recyclable waste collections from kerbside properties, which are those that put wheelie bins out in the street for collection. Weekly recycling and food waste collections would continue, giving an extra incentive to recycle.
The Council wants to hear your views before making a final decision.
The consultation is open now and closes on 30 June 2023. Read on for more information or visit the consultation page to respond to the survey.
About the proposal:
- Non-recyclable waste from kerbside households would be collected every two weeks, instead of every week.
- The change would only apply to kerbside households with wheelie bins. People with large communal waste bins would not see any change.
- Recycling services would remain unchanged. Mixed recycling from green bins and food waste in brown bins would continue to be collected weekly. Garden waste collections would continue for those who have subscribed.
Why fortnightly non-recyclable waste collections is proposed:
- To achieve the ambitious targets for Lambeth to be net-zero by 2030. Everyone needs to work together to reduce waste, increase recycling, and make other big changes, like using cleaner transport.
- Moving to fortnightly non-recyclable waste collections would encourage more recycling and reduce the number of miles our bin lorries drive, limiting emissions and congestion.
- Some London boroughs have already introduced fortnightly collections and recycling performance has improved.
Have your say:
Share your opinions and feedback on the proposals. The consultation ends on 30 June 2023: visit lambeth.gov.uk/waste-
Got questions about the proposals? Meet the team at one of these engagement sessions.
- Date/Time: Sunday 4 June 2023, 10am-4pm
Venue: West Norwood FEAST, in front of West Norwood Health & Leisure Centre, Canon Devane Way, London, SE27 0DF
- Date/Time: Wednesday 7 June 2023, 1pm-8pm
Venue: Streatham Library, 63 Streatham High Rd, London SW16 1PN
- Date/Time: Saturday 10 June and Sunday 11 June 2023, 1pm-5pm
Venue: Lambeth Country Show, Brockwell Park, London SE24 0NG
- Date/Time: Thursday 15 June 2023, 10am-4pm
Venue: Clapham Library, 91 Clapham High St, London SW4 7DB
- Date/Time: Monday 19 June 2023, 1pm-8pm
Venue: Brixton Library, Windrush Square, London SW2 1JQ
- Date/Time: Thursday 22 June 2023, 1pm-8pm
Venue: Tate South Lambeth Library, 180 South Lambeth Rd, London SW8 1QP Councillor Rezina Chowdhury, Cabinet Member for Sustainable Lambeth & Clean Air and senior managers will be available to answer questions between 3pm and 5pm
Lambeth Council has published answers to a number of the key questions on recycling asked by residents at the Lambeth Country Show. Read these here.