Thames Water has sent out official notice that work will begin on 27 May 2019 and is expected to take more than a year to complete. Over the period of the works we can expect major disruptions including: -
- Along the Norwood Road, there will be loading bay suspensions and lane closures with temporary traffic lights; this will cause queues and delays throughout the period
- The junction of Norwood Road and Perran Road will be closed to traffic from 27 May until 2 August and the 68, 196 and 468 buses will be diverted around the Tulse Hill gyratory
- The junction of Norwood Road and Lancaster Avenue / York Hill will be closed to traffic from 27 May until 23 October
- The junction of Norwood Road and Leigham Vale will be closed to traffic from 6 July until 23 November
- The bus route 315 will be diverted via Leigham Court Road, Crown Lane and Knights Hill until mid October
- bus stops outside nos. 160, 262, 274A, 485-487 Norwood Road will be closed until August. All other bus stops are expected to remain open at this stage.
These are the first set of closures and Thames Water will need further road and lane closures as the work progresses. Notice of these will be provided to us nearer the time. The works will commence overnight on Monday 27 May to set up the traffic management. Following this, normal working hours will be Monday to Saturday 7:30am - 7:30pm and on Sundays 10am - 5pm.
Thames Water has not mentioned other disruptions we can also expect such as temporary restrictions on parking during lane closures and perhaps air quality issues. There are likely to be delays to buses running along Norwood Road and in consequence buses are likely to be terminated early and start later along the route missing some or all of the town centre and other parts of the route.
Importantly, however, the town centre will remain very much open for business and it will still be possible to travel there and the pavements with open access to our pavements. Thames Water will be holding two drop-in sessions to answer any questions you may have:
Monday 13 May 2019 5-8pm: Salvation Army, 246 Norwood Road, SE27 9AW
Tuesday 14 May 2019 1-4pm: West Norwood Library & Picturehouse, 1 - 7 Norwood High Street, SE27 9JU.
If you cannot make these two events, Thames Water has arranged a help line 0800 316 9800 and select option 1 and quote BB279802.