A planning application has been submitted for “The Park” across the road from Norwood Park at 56 Elder Road SE27 for:
Conversion of a public house into 5 residential flats. Existing landscaping to front and rear to be removed and replaced with new hardstanding to match existing. Demolition works to be undertaken internally with a lean to canopy to the rear of the property also being demolished.
So, if approved, this would be the end of the pub which has existed here since at least 1860, with a new building opening in 1924. The original address for the Park Tavern was no. 3 Maudslay Cottages, named after Thomas Maudslay who built the original terrace of cottages in the 1850s at the bottom of his garden (the grand Holderness House on Knight’s Hill – now the site of Tivoli Park). The pub was originally housed in two cottages identical to the surviving neighbouring cottages.
Lambeth has a policy of supporting the retention of pubs. However if the developer can prove the business is no longer viable a change of use can be considered. See policy ED8 in the existing 2015 Local Plan.