London Fire Brigade has launched the Fire Cadets Programme for up to 16 young people – with the help of adult volunteers – in West Norwood from September 2018. You can recommend a young person or contact them about volunteering as an adult.
The exciting Youth Engagement Programme starts at West Norwood Fire Station this Autumn. Fire Cadets is a free, nationally recognised programme offering young people (14 to 17) the opportunity to gain a credible BTEC Level 2 Award in Fire and Rescue Services in the Community and develop their personal skills. They will also take on social action projects with the local community. The programme is delivered by Volunteers and Operational London Fire Brigade staff.
The Fire Cadet programme provides opportunities to:
- Enhance key citizenship skills and build confidence
- Develop transferable, practical skills for future training or employment
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification
- Play supportive roles in the local community and develop positive peer relationships
- Attend a local fire station one evening a week, alongside LFB and community volunteers
- Work in partnership with other uniformed cadet organisations
- Represent London Fire Brigade at prestigious events
- Increase knowledge of community fire safety and empower young people to educate family and friends.
Many Fire Cadets go on to join the fire service, like firefighter Nick Cambridge, from Romford. Mr Cambridge joined the cadets at sixteen and now, aged 20, is fully qualified. Nick said that: “Being a fire cadet and training inside a working fire station gave me an insight into what it would be like to work as a firefighter and equipped me with an understanding of some of the practical skills involved”.
Adult volunteers are also needed. The Fire Cadets programme is only possible because of adult volunteers. Firefighters, Brigade staff and adults from the local community give up their personal time, and wide-ranging skills and experiences, to help support each cadet to achieve the best they can. The London Fire Brigade is looking for adult volunteers who can commit to every Tuesday from 6 – 9pm at West Norwood Fire Station. Adult volunteers can gain transferable skills and complete a number of accredited courses. Volunteers do not need experience of working with young people, just a passion for helping change their life for the better.
More information on how to join this programme as a cadet or as an adult volunteer please contact Youth Engagement Coordinator Johnny MacDonald by email to: Jonathan.McDonald@london-fire.
Also up and coming, the Fire Cadets National Games on Saturday 18 & Sunday 19 August – see our events listing here.