The West Norwood Local Facebook page recently had a long thread on self-guided scenic walks locally and further afield. If you are contemplating going on a walk in the current environment, please follow the government advice on social distancing.The suggested walks included:
- West Norwood Cemetery: read the Friends of West Norwood Cemetery quarterly magazines. The monthly walks (first Sunday of each month) are currently suspended; their publications can normally be purchased at the Cemetery office (but this is currently closed). The Wednesday health walks from the West Norwood Health & Leisure Centre are also currently suspended.
- Dulwich Common via Belair Park, Dulwich Picture Gallery (currently, the exterior only) and Dulwich Village
- From West Norwood to Streatham Common. Visit The Rookery.
- Streatham Common over to Norwood Grove, down to Covington Way and into Biggin Wood (part of the Great North Wood)
- Norwood Park. Excellent views of central London. Find the Juggernaut of Nought
- Brockwell Park
- Peabody Hill: from Thurlow Park Road near Tulse Hill station, walk up Thurlow Hill and Peabody Hill, follow the path down to the Peabody (Rosendale) Estate and Rosendale Road, left to Brockwell Park. See Brixton Buzz story here.
- Sydenham Hill Woods (part of the Great North Wood)
- Around the Crystal Palace triangle
- Crystal Palace Park (part of the Great North Wood)
- Crystal Palace to Nunhead (part of the Green Chain Walk (see below).
- Nunhead Cemetery
- South Norwood Lake
- South Norwood Country Park
- Beckenham Place Park (On the Capital Ring – see below).
- Streatham Hill, Balham, across to Tooting Common, to St Leonard's and back Streatham Common
For longer walks, use the excellent Transport for London website for the linear long distance paths of London, including the Capital Ring that runs close to our patch.