Norwood Forum Committee Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy
Norwood Forum is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive culture among the forum committee, forum members and the community it represents.
It is in our best interests to promote diversity and eliminate discrimination as well as being the right thing to do. If the skills and resources of residents are fully utilised, it will maximise the efficiency and effectiveness of the forum.
Our aim is to ensure that the people who live and work in the area covered by Norwood Forum have an equal opportunity to participate in decision-making and forum events and are encouraged to do so*.
Therefore the Norwood Forum Committee needs to represent all sections of the community that we serve. To this end:
- The committee will create an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all are recognised and valued including where there is a difference of opinion
- We will promote dignity and respect for every committee member
- All committee members will be expected to support each other and bring to the forum their unique talents
- We will not tolerate any form of intimidation, bullying, or harassment
- The committee will ensure that meeting spaces are accessible (for example in terms of wheelchair access and public transport) and are welcoming spaces that do not make anyone feel excluded
- The committee will regularly review the skills and diversity of members and its ways of working and communicating so that fairness, diversity and inclusion are prioritised and maintained
- The committee will develop a set of goals for improving its own equality, diversity and inclusion and publish these annually with progress made towards meeting them.
By working according to the principles outlined above, we believe we can build a stronger and more resilient community.
*The policy reinforces our commitment to provide equal facilities or treatment on the grounds of age, caring responsibilities, disability, family situation, gender expression, gender identity, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race including ethnic origin, colour, nationality and national origin, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, or socio-economic status.
Approved: Norwood Forum Committee (20.02.23)